1 week on the Ketogenic Diet (…or slow carb, whatever.)
Today, I have been on the ketogenic diet for 8 days, I have been fat adapted for 6 days.
I have always wanted to try to go on the ketogenic diet or the slow carb diet because I have heard Tim Ferriss sing its praises from his book 4-Hour Body and on his 4-Hour Work Week podcast. I have tried to go on a ketogenic type diet multiple times and each time I end up stopping it before I become fat adapted because I feel like garbage.
- On 1/31/2017 had a biometric screening and found the following.
- My A1C was at 5.7% puts me at higher risk of developing diabetes within years
- Fasting glucose: 95mg/dl
- My weight was 225lbs at the time of the biometric screening, putting my BMI at 30.4
- Total Cholesterol: 200mg/dl
- HDL: 47mg/dl
- LDL: 126mg/dl
- Triglicerides: 134mg/dl
- Total Cholesterol: 200mg/dl
- Blood pressure:
- Systolic: 114mmHG
- Diastolic: 80mmHG
- Resting heart rate (per Fitbit):
At the beginning of the Ketogenic diet (3/17/2017):
- My weight was at 220lbs
- Resting heart rate: 70bpm
The rules of the diet I am following probably align more with the “slow carb” diet:
Follow these rules if you want to lose weight on the Slow-Carb Diet:
- Stick to Slow-Carb Diet approved foods 6 days a week.
- Lean meat, beans, and veggies and no white foods like sugar, pasta, rice, bread, cheese.
- Eat the same few meals over and over again.
- Don’t drink calories.
- Start your day with protein
- Shooting for 30g within 30 minutes of waking (boosts success rate by 11%).
- Don’t eat fruit
- Tomatoes and avocados are allowed in moderation.
- Take one “cheat day” a week
(source for the above rules)
What has happened so far:
- Nothing really happened on Day 1
- Increased my water consumption to 3.2L
- Did not track my food
- Had a Reuben Sandwich for Dinner (Saint Patrick’s Day), with Bread
- Felt Good
- 6.9L of Water
- Drink a-lot of water while your body is switching over to being fat adapted
- Began tracking my food in FitBit:
- Sardines for Breakfast; Along with: 2 Slices of Bacon, 1 Egg with Cheese, Vitamin C, and MegaRed Krill Oil
- Cheeses and meat throughout the day
- Felt Good in the morning, went to bed feeling like shit
- 4.2L of Water
- Some ketones showing in my urine
- Began tracking my food in MyFitnessPal
- Took 2 Motrins before bed, slept great
- My Cousin (Amber) began helping me on this journey — of which I am very grateful.
- Felt amazing after breakfast — from this day forward as long as I am hydrated I feel great
- 4.1L of Water
- Link to my food diary for this day
Day 5 to Day 8
March (21 to 25)
- This whole week I have felt amazing, nearly euphoric levels of energy
- I am shooting for above 4L of water a day
- 1.5L of water within the first hour of the day
- I have been running about a net 2,000 calorie deficit when factoring in my activity, estimated base metabolic rate, and calorie intake
- Link to the most recent page of my food diary
- My cousin Amber and I touch base at least once in the evening with our myfitness pal macro stats via SnapChat